7/16/2011

Reversible bubble pillowcase dress- long name, I know

This is the dress I showed on Someday Crafts a week ago -  the perfect summer vacation dress - the reversible, bubble, pillowcase dress. And it's perfect for vacation because it's reversible - imagine being at a theme park or at the beach, then you're headed for the restaurant to eat when you discover your little darling is dirty. I have the solution - turn the dress inside out - and head for the restaurant.
Step 1: You need two different prints fabric. Cut out front and back pieces from both fabrics. You can use a raglan shirt as a pattern tracer, or you can find multiple tutorials for pillow dresses on-line. I've made this dress twice, and found out it looks a lot better if I cut the sides on an angle - you can see it on the picture above.
You will now have four pieces - two front pieces and two back pieces.
Step 2: Sew side seams as if you were sewing two dresses.

Step 3: Put one dress inside the other - right sides together.
Make sure the bottoms line up. And make sure the front pieces are facing each other.
Step 4: Sew the bottoms together with elastic on your bobbin. Here is a tutorial for how you do this. I sew one time around, maybe it would be safer to sew two rounds?

Pulling the dresses from each other- it will now look like this.
Step 5: Put one dress into the other again, but now wrong sides together.
Step 6: Now you take the neck line on the front pieces and put the right sides together - sew across. Twist the fabric back.The do the same for the back neck line.
Step 7: Top stitch the neck lines - then sew a second seam a short inch from the top - this is where the ribbon goes through. Do this both front and back.I also made sure I folded the fabric in at the edges.
Step 8: Arm holes - fold the fabric in on both pieces and sew together - you could also use bias tape here. Repeat on second arm hole.
Step 9: Pull ribbon through the front and back pieces. And you're done.
Two for one dress.
My girls are sporting the two different sizes - the size is so easy to adjust.


I actually got stopped at the mall - someone just "had to" ask me where I bought the girls' dresses.... FUN! 

Be blessed, Tone

2 kommentarer:

Chef in Training sa...

this is so cute! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Inger-Lise sa...

Love those dresses! They are just sooooo cute. :)
Too bad I only have two boys...
- IL